Are you a caregiver in need of respite? Would your loved one — who is living at home — benefit from nursing care, helpful assistance or increased socialization during the day? Community VNA’s Adult Day Health Care Centers may offer the solution you need!
Discover 10 benefits of Adult Day Health Care:
1. Nursing care
At Community VNA, all of our Adult Day Health Care locations employ experienced, licensed nurses. Nursing staff helps oversee the provision of personal care and supportive services provided by specially trained staff, while also providing the daily medical care participants need, including:
- Care for Alzheimer’s and other dementia-related illnesses
- Nursing assessments of physical and mental status
- Physician ordered treatments, such as:
- Skin care
- Wound care
- Dressing changes (simple and complex)
- Tube feedings
- Catheter care
- Colostomy care
- Oxygen therapy
- Diabetes and other chronic conditions management
- Serving as medical advocate for each participant
2. Medication management
Our nursing staff ensures that every participant receives his/her prescribed medications; observes responses to medications to monitor its effects; and consults with physicians, as needed, for any questions or concerns.
3. Social workers
The social workers at our Adult Day Health Care Centers meet with participants and their families to assess the needs and help develop an individualized plan of care with the multi-disciplinary team. Individual and group counseling, including music therapy, provided by licensed counselors is also provided at the Centers. For caregivers, social workers are a valuable resource to assist with the challenges and concerns that come with caring for a loved one.
4. Care coordination
Social workers are often very involved in helping to coordinate the necessary care and services that a participant may need beyond adult day health care. They frequently serve as a liaison with other community agencies to coordinate all services.
5. Assistance to caregivers
At Community VNA, our Adult Day Health Care Centers are concerned with not only the participants, but the caregivers, as well. Caregiving can be a challenging responsibility. Here’s how our Centers can give you the help you may need:
- We provide safe, handicapped-accessible transportation to and from the Centers.
- We can take care of daily personal care and hygiene: toileting, grooming, shaving, and showering.
- We offer free, monthly caregiver support groups to help cope with the challenges of caregiving.
- If requested, our nursing staff can arrange to have prescriptions delivered directly to the Center.
- We have a unisex hair salon. Each month, a professional hairdresser provides on-site haircuts, shampoos, and styling for both men and women.
- We offer podiatry services on site.
6. Individualized plan of care
Our multi-disciplinary team of professionals works together to develop a customized care plan for each participant. To provide each participant with the care and service best suited to him/her, this customized plan of care includes input from the participant, the family, caregivers, and the physician.
7. Nutrition and meals
Our Adult Health Care Centers provide nutritionally balanced, therapeutic meals (that’s breakfast, lunch, and snacks) every day, in a friendly, social group setting. Meals can accommodate:
- Regular and special needs diet
- Restricted diets
- Ground meals
- Soft diets
- Tube feeding
- Feeding assistance by trained nursing staff
- Special arrangements to meet participant preferences.
8. Activities and events
Adult Day Health Care Centers are a place where participants receive not only the medical assistance they need, but also, the social interaction and cognitive stimulation that is important to their mental health and well-being. We offer a wide range of stimulating therapeutic activities and events to meet each participant’s needs and interests, including:
- Computer-based activities
- Spiritual discussions
- Cultural topics & the arts
- Cooking classes
- Relaxation & meditation
- Outdoor barbecue & patio
- Community outings to local parks, restaurants, etc.
- Daily exercise, yoga, and movement sessions
- Live performers & group entertainment
- Activities for hobby enthusiasts, like painting or gardening
- Individualized activities, such as: chess, checkers, puzzles, cards, needlepoint.
9. Physical and cognitive activities
An important part of our Centers is to help participants remain physically and mentally vital. Every day, a variety of activities are offered that challenge participants’ gross motor skills, fine motor skills, and cognitive abilities.
- Gross motor skills improve walking and balance.
- Chair exercises
- Modified strength training
- Fine motor skills improve activities like dressing and feeding.
- Manipulating small objects, such as boardgame pieces
- Cognitive abilities are enhanced by word games.
- Scrabble, group crossword puzzles, and word association games
10. Physical, occupational, and speech therapy
If participants require extra assistance, restorative therapies are available on-site (with a physician’s order). Restorative therapies can help participants:
- Improve and maintain their balance and strength
- Remain safer when walking and climbing stairs
- Improve fine and gross motor skills.
- Improve swallowing & speech.
Adult Day Health Care by Community VNA
Participation in adult day health leads to improved well-being and increased socialization that occurs in a safe, nurturing and comfortable community setting. Community VNA has three Adult Day Health Care Centers, located in Norwood, Mansfield, and Taunton. Each serves frail elders, seniors with medical needs, and disabled adults of any age who need nursing care, social services, and supportive assistance during the day. To learn more about Community VNA’s Adult Day Health Care services, click here!